Energy Saving Tips
The Holiday Season is Here! Follow these Energy Tips:
Year-Round, Every Day Energy Tips by Room
- Easiest way to start saving is to turn off all fans and lights in unoccupied rooms or when you no longer need them.
- During the heating season, open the drapes and take advantage of the sun’s warmth and give your heater a break.
- It takes more energy to pump air into a space where the vents are blocked, unblock vents where possible.
- Use a smart thermostat to program your schedule to adjust the temperature while you are sleeping and away.
- Install a smart power strip on your electronic entertainment centers to cut down on unnecessary plug load.
- Unplug your phone/watch chargers when they are not in use.
- Use a ceiling fan so you can turn down your AC, but be sure to turn it off when you leave the room.
- Take a 10-minute shower instead of a bath to save water and money on your heating bill.
- Install a properly sized ENERGY STAR® vent fan to control moisture in the air while you shower.
- Install low flow shower heads and faucet aerators to conserve water.
- Save energy by giving your dryer a break and hanging your clothes out to dry.
- Clean your lint trap between each dryer load to maximize air flow and efficiency of your dryer.
- Wash full loads with cold water whenever possible. If you must wash partial loads, reduce the level of water appropriately.